This recipe was given to me by the lady wh
o lived across the street from the first house I ever bought. Jean was a mentor, a confidante, and a much-loved friend. She taught me a great deal about gardening, cooking, baking, and parenting. After my mama Jean is the lady I miss most in my life. I call it Bam’s Lemon Pound Cake because I’ve made some changes to the original recipe over the years.
Right after I washed my hands to begin baking, Remy (the sometimes wonder dog) decided my hands needed to be licked. He was banished from the kitchen and spent the rest of the time I was baking pouting on the sofa. Hands re-washed, I began.
Bam’s Lemon Pound Cake
- Add lemon juice and *zest and combine well.
- Pour into prepared Bundt pan. Bake about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Stir together powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice
- Drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake.
*I sprinkle the zest around the batter so it distributes more evenly.