Sweet peppers, earthy mushrooms, tangy cheddar, and juicy chicken make this casserole a truly satisfying meal. The creamy sauce and crunchy panko topping are added delights. And in this harvest season Farmer’s Chicken Casserole allows you to use all the great produce available at the grocery store, the farmers market, or even your own backyard!
Before I go any further I want to thank my oldest son, Paul for his wonderful help naming many of my recipes. I tend to want to just call them by ingredients; “Chicken, peppers, mushroom, onion…..Casserole. Terrible. But Paul has a knack for naming dishes. He also has a knack, like his baby brother, for cooking! And now on to Farmer’s Chicken Casserole!
First I heat a few tablespoons of oil in my much used cast iron skillet. Then I add the chicken, which I’ve seasoned with a little salt and pepper, and brown it on both sides.
While the chicken is browning I cook about 3 cups of egg noodles al dente. These are drained and set aside.
I remove the chicken and put the mushrooms in the skillet and when they’ve cooked for a few minutes I add the onions. I season the mushrooms and onions with a little salt to help them caramelize. After the onions have become soft I add the peppers to the skillet and cook until they’re tender crisp.
In a 13 x 9 inch casserole I mix the cream of chicken soup and the chicken broth. I season it with garlic powder and poultry seasoning. I cut the chicken into bite size pieces and mix them, the noodles, and the vegetables into the chicken soup mixture.
I top this all with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. You can add more but I don’t like the cheese to be overpowering.
I bake the casserole at 350°F for about 30 minutes. I want the cheese melted right in to the casserole. While that’s baking I melt 3 tablespoons of butter and mix that into 1 1/2 cups of panko breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs get sprinkled over the casserole and it goes back into the oven for about 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
And there you have it!
Farmer’s Chicken Casserole
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 3 cups egg noodles, cooked al dente
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat
- Add chicken and cook until well browned and cooked through
- Cook egg noodles until al dente, drain, and set aside
- Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces, set aside
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until nearly caramelized
- Add onions and cook until soft
- Add yellow and red peppers and cook until tender crisp
- Mix cream of chicken soup and chicken broth in a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish until well combined
- Add garlic powder, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper (to taste)
- Stir in chicken, vegetables, and noodles
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes (or until cheese is melted and bubbly)
- Mix melted butter with panko breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the casserole
- Return to oven and bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown (about 15 minutes)