We love breakfast bakes because they’re easy to make and there are so many ways to create a delicious breakfast. I like to use ingredients I have on hand. This week I made a ham so I had plenty of leftovers to make Bam’s Ham Breakfast Bakes. I called this Breakfast Bakes because I made two versions so we each got our favorite!
We got a great deal on a semi-boneless ham and I used some of it when I made Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin but I had a lot left. I’d already planned on making Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu (recipe in an upcoming post). And we just had to have ham sandwiches but I also wanted to make a couple of our favorite breakfast bakes. I like mine with spinach but Mr. Comfortable prefers his without.
Not a lot of ingredients are needed for these breakfast bakes.
Sometimes I throw in some diced onions or other vegetables but I made these two very basic. Now I’m regretting not adding green onions to the one without spinach. Good thing I have more ham!
I started by cutting my baguettes into 1 inch cubes. My baguettes were really large so I laid the bread out in the pans to kind of measure how much I needed.
I diced the ham and set it aside.
Next I drained the spinach and squeezed it to remove the excess liquid. I normally use fresh spinach but I didn’t have any and I didn’t want to go to town. When I use fresh I just spread a handful or so over the ham layer in each pan. With the canned spinach I just kind of drop little bits of it around. I don’t want too strong a spinach taste so I don’t spread a complete layer of spinach. For Mr. Comfortable’s version I leave out the spinach.
The cheese is divided and spread over each ham layer. I mix 6 of the eggs with a cup of milk and pour it equally over the two pans.
Then I top each pan with the remaining bread cubes. I mix the remaining two eggs with the remaining milk and pour this equally over the two top bread cube layers. I let the pans sit for about 5 minutes.
Then I bake the pans together for 45 – 50 minutes. I want the eggs to be set in the center. If the bread cubes start to brown too much I cover the pans with foil.
I absolutely love the fluffy eggs and the crunchy bread topping. The bottom layer of bread is heavenly with all the egg it soaks in while baking! And the ham and cheese are perfect with spinach.
If I’m making this for a crowd I just follow the directions but use a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish and, of course, I don’t have to divide ingredients between pans.
Oh, my gosh! Ham, spinach, and lots of gooey cheese! I’m in breakfast heaven!
Bam’s Ham & Egg Breakfast Bakes
- 2 large baguettes (you can also use French or Italian bread), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups ham, diced
- 1/2 can spinach (or use fresh spinach)
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I used a mozzarella, provolone mix)
- 8 eggs, beaten and divided (6 eggs in one bowl, 2 in another)
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (for spinach version)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice ham and set aside.
- Drain canned spinach and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Butter two 8 x 8 inch baking pans or one 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Spread 1/4 of the bread in the bottom of each 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Divide the ham equally if using two baking pans. Spread evenly over bread cubes.
- If using spinach, drop spinach over the ham so it is evenly distributed.
- For spinach version sprinkle the allspice over the spinach layer. (I make one with spinach and one without).
- Spread 1/2 of the cheese over the ham in each pan.
- Mix 6 eggs and 1 cup of milk in a large bowl.
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture over cheese layer in each baking pan.
- Mix the remaining 2 eggs and 1 cup of milk in a large bowl.
- Top each pan with the remaining bread cubes.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread and allow to sit for 5minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes or until eggs are set. If bread starts to brown too much cover with foil.