I’m a big fan of chicken thighs and drumsticks but this recipe makes such juicy, flavorful chicken breasts I had to share it. The combination of bell peppers, onions, and chicken breasts is perfect with rice or egg noodles. And Sweet Pepper Chicken makes a great freezer meal!
My secret for making chicken breasts juicy is to cook them for a shorter time on higher heat.
Almost everyone sets the oven to 350 degrees but I crank it up to 450 degrees and only cook the chicken for about 20 – 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breasts!
First preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Trust me on this.
You have to do a little slicing but it’s worth the tiny bit of work to serve this great chicken! Just slice up a few bell peppers and an onion and you’re ready to start putting it together!
Then put it all in a casserole dish and pop it in the oven.
And that’s it!
Bake it for 20 minutes and take the temperature in the thickest part of the breasts. Be sure to check them all because one may be done and the rest may need a few more minutes.
When the temperature reaches 155 degrees take the casserole dish out of the oven and let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes. The internal temperature must be 165 degrees to serve the chicken.
I like to serve Sweet Pepper Chicken on a bed of brown rice.
Oh, those sweet peppers and onions go perfectly with that juicy chicken! Sweet Pepper Chicken is one of the best ways to serve chicken breasts!
Sweet Pepper Chicken is a great freezer meal, too! Just combine the ingredients in a labeled freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and, when you’re ready to make it, thaw and follow the cooking instructions!
Juicy, tender chicken breasts paired with sweet bell peppers and onions make for a delicious dinner. And Sweet Pepper Chicken is a great freezer meal, too! Just combine the ingredients in a freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and when you're ready to cook just thaw and follow the baking instructions!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Emeril’s Essence
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss ingredients to coat and place in a large casserole dish.
- Salt the chicken separately after it is in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes (until internal temperature in thickest part of breast is 155 degrees).
- Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes (until internal temperature is 165 degrees).