Lately I’ve been too fatigued to even think of getting something started early in the day in my slow cooker. And I don’t want to have to watch three or four pots while standing over the stove either. But if I do a little pre-cooking I can put everything together and have my meat, potatoes, and vegetables all in one. That’s why I love Creamy Mushroom Pork Chop Bake!
I suppose I could make this dish even easier…
by not cooking the onions. But I love the sweetness caramelized onions bring to it so I don’t mind making them. I just cook them in a little butter until they’re a deep caramel color. And I boil the potatoes for a few minutes so they’re nice and tender when the chops are done.
Then I season both sides of the pork chops with pepper right in a large casserole dish. I don’t use salt as the soup is salty enough.
Next I put the potatoes around the chops and spread the onions and some green beans over the chops.
In a large bowl I mix 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder until they’re well combined.
I spread the soup mixture over the pork and vegetables.
Then I cover the dish with foil and put it in the oven. It takes 45 – 60 minutes to bake depending on the thickness of the pork chops.
Now I just put my feet up!
I pull the dish out of the oven when the chops are 145 degrees (for medium rare) and let it rest for a few minutes.
We love the creamy soup enveloping the pork and vegetables. It doesn’t overpower the individual flavors. Instead it pulls them all together.
Creamy Mushroom Pork Chop Bake is terrific because we have a really tasty meal and I spend a lot less time in the kitchen!
- 3 large potatoes, parked and cut in bite size chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 - 6 pork chops, bone-in
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Boil potatoes for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Season both sides of pork chops with pepper to taste.
- Place in large oven-safe casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook until onions are well caramelized (about 15 minutes).
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Spread onions and garlic over chops.
- In a large bowl, mix garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and cream of mushroom soup.
- Pour over pork.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 – 60 minutes.