The fragrance and taste of cinnamon takes me back to when my kids were little. Cinnamon Bun Cake is a twist on buns I made for them all those years ago. And they love it as much as they did on those mornings I got up extra early to make them a special breakfast!
Cinnamon Bun Cake should be our national food!
Okay, maybe that’s a bit much but I do love it! I don’t know why I don’t end up making this cake more often. Probably because if I did they’d have to cut a hole in the wall of the house to get me out!
Just imagine your entire family hanging out in the kitchen waiting for this cake. They will!
The cake itself is super easy to put together and doesn’t take long to bake. That’s a good thing because you won’t want to wait long to wrap your lips around a big piece of Cinnamon Bun Cake! I actually have to keep a couple of pieces and send the rest to family. If I didn’t we’d be right back to that hole in the wall plan.
Easy to make and easier to devour!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Add the dry cake ingredients to a large bowl.
Then mix in the wet cake ingredients. Mix this all until it’s well combined.
Mix the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside. You will use it in just a minute.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and top it evenly with the topping. I just drop it on with a tablespoon.
Next I take a sharp knife and cut the topping into the cake. Some areas of the cake will have thicker layers of topping but that’s not important. The entire cake will have swirls of the topping throughout.
Bake the Cinnamon Bun Cake in the preheated oven for 28 – 30 minutes. As I said this cake doesn’t take long to bake! It’s done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Combine the ingredients for the glaze when the cake is nearly done baking.
When the cake has cooled to the warm stage, spread the glaze over it. You want to do this while the cake is warm but not hot!
You could wait until the cake has cooled completely before you grab a piece. You could do that. I can’t but you could.
Cinnamon Bun Cake
Cinnamon Bun Cake is moist and delicious with just the right amount of cinnamon flavor!
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 stick butter, melted
- For the Topping:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk (you may add more milk to get to desired consistency for glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Mix all of the dry cake ingredients together in a large bowl.
- To the dry ingredients add the milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter and mix them well.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate medium bowl.
- Drop topping by teaspoons evenly over entire cake.
- Using a sharp knife cut the topping into the cake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 28-30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking mix the glaze ingredients well in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove from oven and glaze the cake while warm but not hot.