Tacos made with ground beef are good but Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos are the best! The meat is tender and the seasonings give it a spicy kick. Topped with crispy lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream it’s a Mexican meal that will have you saying “Delicioso!”
There’s something special about Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos.
Don’t get me wrong. I like regular hamburger tacos. I love the crunch of a corn taco shell. And seasoned ground beef is nothing to turn your nose up at. But Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos remind me of the first time I had a beef taco with shredded beef at a Mexican restaurant. It was a revelation!
And I like making the beef in the slow cooker because I can do everything in the morning and walk away until it’s nearly dinner time. Lately I’ve been so busy any meal that doesn’t require a lot of kitchen time is high on my list!
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos are no demasiado caliente (not too hot)!
High school Spanish class really paid off, right? Okay. I Googled it. But it’s true! These tacos have a decent amount of heat but you’re not going to burn your mouth on them! And if you want it spicier you can adjust the amount of cumin and chili powder to suit your tastes.
The first thing I do is dice a medium onion. That’s the thing that requires the most work so you know this is an easy recipe! I spread the diced onion in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the beef roast on top.
Then I whisk beef broth, water, tomato sauce, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and salt together in a bowl.
This mixture is poured right over the beef.
I set the slow cooker for 7 hours on low (it may take up to 8 hours depending on the roast), pop the lid on and walk away.
Theme from “Jeopardy” plays…
It’s 7 hours later and my beef roast is falling apart tender. Now it’s time to shred it. I use two forks to do this.
*Save some of the liquid you cooked the beef in because you’ll use it in a minute.
The beef was so tender I had a hard time getting it out of the slow cooker! It just fell apart!
Once the beef is shredded I mix in a 7 ounce can of chopped green chilies. I also add a little of the liquid I reserved. It takes just a little. You won’t want the beef wet, but you want some of the flavor the juice adds.
I warm the tortillas and spoon the beef mixture on them. Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos get the full taco treatment. We top them with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream.
With a side of Mexican rice and a salad I have a great meal with very little work!
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos are great tasting and using the slow cooker means it's not a lot of work for you!
- 2 lbs. beef roast (I use bottom round but any roast will work)
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 8 flour tortillas (taco size)
- Lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream for topping tacos.
- Spread diced onion in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Place beef roast on top of onions.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients, except chopped chilies, together in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over been roast.
- Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours (until beef is fall apart tender).
- Remove roast from slow cooker and reserve the cooking liquid
- Shred the beef with two forks and place in large bowl.
- Mix the chopped green chilies and a little of the reserved cooking liquid with the beef
- Warm the tortillas and fill with beef mixture.
- Top tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
Add just enough of the cooking liquid to add flavor but not to make the beef mixture wet.