It’s been fascinating to watch the duck cabin start to come into existence. Mr. Comfortable has moved from cutting logs for the walls to building the frame for the cabin. I finally feel we’re making progress on the duck cabin!
Although the logs for the walls are critical it didn’t feel exciting when they were being cut. I suppose a bunch of little logs lined up didn’t give me a clear enough picture of what the structure was going to look like when finished. But with the framing done I can imagine the completed cabin. And it’s going to be so much like the video Pete found that inspired the duck cabin I can’t believe it!
Progress on the Duck Cabin might be faster but…
Mr. Comfortable has done most of the work himself. Every time Pete tries to help his dad shoos him away. I think Mr. C is having more fun doing this than he wants to admit!
It’s wonderful that we’re using bits and pieces of wood and other materials we had on hand. This project is not only going to be very reasonable cost-wise, but it will have history built right in! One piece of wood came from our daughter’s old bunk bed and still has stickers, thirty years later, which she pasted on when she was tiny!
We used an old porch post we had left for part of the construction and the windows, as I mentioned, are acrylic from old plaques. Mr. C also used a piece of thinner acrylic as a straight edge for marking angles on the wood.
Building the basic frame was mostly a matter of cutting 2 x 4’s we had left from past projects.
Mr. C clamped the windows in place and then affixed them permanently to the frame.
Then he cut the wood for the roof at the angle. We’ll add the ventilation screens later.
Right now the Duck Cabin looks like this –
So far I’m delighted with the progress on the duck cabin but there’s a lot left to do!
We still need to build the frames for the doors (front and back). Once those are done we’ll make the doors. The ventilation material will be added at that point.
Before we start building the walls we need to frame in and pour concrete for the floor. The frame will be set in place so the corner posts are sunk right into the concrete.
After that we can begin building the walls by layering the logs and concrete. The roof will be added late in the construction. Attaching it before the frame is set in the concrete would only add a lot of weight to be lifted.
Pete has come up with a great plan to enclose the pen. We’ll build the pen enclosure before Freckles and Penguin get to move into their new quarters. The duck cabin would keep them safe from predators at night but they’d wander off if they had free run of the place.
We’ve made progress on the duck cabin but so much more has been going on here! Pete and I have been busy planting vegetables! And today I’m getting lots of annuals from Eileen for my sorely neglected flower beds! Since restoring the flower beds was one of my Goals and Challenges for the year I’m happy to get started on it! I’ll be posting garden updates soon.