We’ve been hard at work restoring the flower beds for the last few days. That’s why you haven’t been seeing much of me. But my absence has meant big changes on the flower beds! In spite of losing Pete for most of those days Mr. C and I have been able to accomplish a great deal. It’s been really fun! And the results are amazing for such a short time!
Would it take forever to make big changes on the flower beds?
When I wrote, as part of my goals and challenges for the year, that I wanted to restore my neglected flower beds I thought it would take all summer. The hill had knee-high grass growing all over it. We couldn’t mow it because I’d “planted” rocks all over. I also didn’t want to mow any surviving perennials that might be hidden in the grass.
The flower beds at the front of the house were nearly all weeds and moss. Mr. C had “weeded” them for me last year and pulled out many of the perennials along with the weeds. This gave the weeds even more room to grow.
I wasn’t confident we’d be able to take back those areas from the invaders and I was sure I couldn’t fill in the spots where things had died (or been yanked out). Yet I wanted the hill and beds to be pretty again so I decided we’d at least try to fix things.
The first two days things moved slowly.
While we were working on the project on the first two days I still thought it was going to take weeks to complete. I don’t work very fast because mostly I have to kind of scoot along on my fanny. Don’t try to picture that. It’s too horrible.
If I could walk and bend like the normal folk I’d be a lot faster. Mr. Comfortable has a very hard time for several hours after he wakes up so he couldn’t join me until the early afternoon each day.
Pete came over on the first two afternoons but couldn’t stay long. By the time he was free to help us it was nearly time to get Estrella off the bus. But while he was here he was a tremendous help.
But the last couple of days have brought about big changes on the flower beds!
Getting up before the sunrise the past few days meant I could get several hours of work done before Mr. C even woke up. The after effects of the chemo and radiation make mornings really hard for him. Getting outside really early also meant I could listen to my opera and the other music Mr. Comfortable doesn’t like. There’s a musical method to my madness!
By the time I finished my coffee the sky had gone from a lovely pre-dawn pink to a bright sunny yellow.
I was able to weed the rest of the west flower bed on day three. Under the porch I found 3 rusty mole traps, some transplant pots, a cup that must have fallen from the porch several years ago, and a lot of weeds.
If the spikes don’t kill the moles the tetanus will!
All that is gone now and we’re putting a heavy layer of mulch under the porch to keep the weeds from coming back.
The west flower bed got mulched thanks to Pete lugging load after load of mulch up the hill so I could spread it. Mr. C mulched the hill at the same time so that process went very quickly.
Big changes on the flower beds east of the porch were really in store!
Mr. Comfortable used the tiller on the areas that were large enough. He thought that it would be too hard on me to weed it all by hand.
The length of that flower bed needed a lot of work and it’s longer than the west bed. But the real work was going to be in the corner at the east end of the house!
I just learned that the Butterfly Bushes at the east corner of the house are invasive. We had two rather large plants and they were blocking the view from the bedroom anyway so I decided to get rid of them. That was easier said than done.
These bushes have roots that go nearly to the center of the earth. And those roots are strong! Both bushes also had what Eileen called “cling weeds” growing up through them. I didn’t realize it but I am allergic to those weeds.
My Diablo Ninebark is doing too well in the spot in front of the living room windows. In the fall we’re going to move it. But right now it’s blooming and, although it blocks the view from inside, it’s pretty.
Little tweaks will end up making big differences!
On day four there wasn’t much left to do. I wanted to make some tweaks to the “decorations” and add mulch to the south side of the hill. But it was nearly 90 degrees today and even I didn’t last long out there. My guys suggested finishing things tomorrow when it will be considerably cooler.
I couldn’t quite catch it in the photo but I love this rock because it has some great shiny spots!
This is a part from an old sprinkler. At least that’s what I think it is.
I did say you can find some really neat little things at the side of the road!
After I mowed the back lawn Mr. C did the front. I didn’t want him doing it in the heat but he said it was important that it looked nice for the final pictures. Pete stopped by and helped me finish mulching around the Ninebark.
The rest will have to wait. But so far we’ve made some really big changes on the flower beds and I can almost check off one thing on my list of goals for 2017!