Practicing Photography

If you’ve seen the photographs I take you know I’m not great at taking pictures. I’d love to have stunning photos but mastering my camera is something that I have yet to do. It’s been a long time since I’ve really tried practicing photography but being outside so much lately reminded me I need to do it.

Practicing photography

Practicing photography is more than just snapping shots!

Shutter speed, aperture, white balance; it’s going to take a lot more reading for me to fully understand what all of it means. And, once I’ve read more, practicing what I’ve learned will take up a lot of my time. As my sister has told me I need to take hundreds of photos to start getting better.

Over the last few days I’ve tried taking some photographs and these are my results. None of these photos has been retouched. And if those of you who are wonderful photographers (you know who you are) have suggestions, please offer them! I need all the help I can get!

Practicing photography

On most of these photos I tried playing with settings on my camera to see what differences they made.

Practicing Photography

Practicing Photography

There’s not a lot of difference between these two but I can see a little.

Practicing Photography

The adjustments I made must have been very tiny. These look, with regard to color, to be almost the same to me.

Practicing Photography

I think I’d need a super-telephoto lens to get good pictures of the moon. But these pictures reminded me that using the tripod is very helpful!

Related Posts

Still Struggling With Photography

2016-08-14 13:28:13
thecomfortablecoop

Photography and the Art-disabled

2016-08-10 08:00:56
thecomfortablecoop

Getting Ready for the Wedding!

2017-06-20 19:40:09

thecomfortablecoopgmail-com

Real Neat Blog Award

2017-06-15 09:00:43
thecomfortablecoopgmail-com

10 thoughts on “Practicing Photography

• June 6, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Dear friend, your photos are stunning (the four pics that look the same color to you look different to me!)! You definitely have an artistic eye, and the technical part of it is just a matter of time and practice. Wow!

• June 7, 2017 at 6:33 am

Oh, Dolly, thank you so much! That means a lot coming from you with your perfect photos! I’m going to spend time this summer practicing.

• June 7, 2017 at 5:55 am

I rarely stray off automatic, because I can’t get my head round all the technical stuff.

• June 7, 2017 at 6:37 am

The photos I take on auto are sometimes lovely and sometimes look as though I used Photoshop to make them neon.

• June 7, 2017 at 11:18 am

I love these photos! I’m still learning all the tech stuff, too. There’s often no right or wrong with photography. It’s a form of art and art is all perspective. And there’s nothing wrong with touching up a photo. That’s why there’s Photoshop, etc. That takes practice, too. So keep practicing and be proud of your photography skills even as you’re growing them. 🤗

• June 7, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I kiss my Photoshop icon every day! It didn’t help that I need new glasses. LOL The whole world looks like it’s underwater!

• June 7, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Bless your heart, Shannon! My sister worked at a photography studio for ten years. I keep comparing my photos to hers and I lose! LOL But I’ll get there.

• June 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

I agree with Camie, above. You really cant go wrong with photography. However your pictures come out, it doesnt matter right now! At least your getting out there with your camera and taking pictures in general. Id say that it definitely helps to practice on people so that you can really tell how the light is hitting their skin and other objects in the photo, but more importantly, how well can you see your subject?
    You may be more of a nature photographer altogether (I can see by you trying to shoot clouds, moon, ect.) These are difficult objects to shoot, especially the moon (you were right about the telephoto lense). Anyways, Manual mode is hard and you are definitely on the right track. But take my advice and try shooting at one object, whether thats a pencil, a ring, flowers, leaves, ect. It will really help give you a better idea on how all of your setting are working together (or against one another) to get your photo how you want it.
    Also, I am doing a “photo challenge” right now with my Nikon D3200 camera and 50 mm 1.4 lense. I am blogging each day as I go about it. You should totally follow along and I will try and start adding some pointers in there for you and others to try and help you!

• June 16, 2017 at 3:58 pm

The things I want to concentrate on getting good at are food shots and my gardens (flowers and vegetables) to start. I took pictures of the clouds because I was on the porch. lol
      I’m going to follow and see what I can pick up from your photo challenge! Thanks for the invite!