When I woke up I knew it was going to be a lazy day. The sun was already well up in the sky and when I looked at my clock it was nearly 8 a.m.! I decided instantly to make Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches. They’re delicious and they don’t take a lot of effort so they were perfect for a take-it-easy kind of day!
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches practically make themselves!
That isn’t totally accurate but they’re so easy I can make them even on my worst days. I toss some ingredients in the slow cooker and forget about dinner for hours! You can even make Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches using frozen beef!
I had a couple of small pieces of beef chuck roast in the freezer so I put them in the slow cooker and poured 1 cup of beef stock and 2 cups of water over them.
Then I sprinkled Bam’s Spice Mix, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt over the beef and in the liquid. I put the cover on the slow cooker and set it on low for 8 hours. Since this is a really bad pain day Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches are the perfect meal. I got to walk away for the entire day! You may be busy with work, kids or outdoor activities so the ease of making this meal is perfect for you, too!
When the beef was done I set it on a plate to rest and I sliced a medium yellow onion into thin strips. I heated a tablespoon of olive oil nice and hot in a skillet and added the onion strips which I seasoned with a little salt. It only took about 10 minutes to get them caramelized.
We love these sandwiches on ciabatta bread. I top the bottom of the bread with the beef and spooned a little of the cooking liquid over it. Then I topped the beef with some shredded mozzarella cheese and put it under the broiler to melt the cheese.
When the cheese was browned I put the onions on top and then cut the ciabatta loaf in half.
Our normal toppings include banana pepper rings, green pepper rings, tomato slices, and lettuce. With these on our Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches I don’t even need to make a salad!
Just look at all that beef!
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches are easy, filling, and so tasty! Give them a try. I think you’ll enjoy them!
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches are piled high with tender beef on crispy ciabatta bread and topped with lots of crunchy vegetables! They're a complete meal on bread!
- 2 – 3 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Bam’s Spice Mix (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 loaves Ciabatta bread
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings:
- Banana or pepperoncini peppers, sliced in thin rings
- Sliced tomatoes
- Green pepper, sliced in rings
- Place chuck roast in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour beef stock and water over beef.
- Sprinkle Bam’s Spice Mix, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt over beef and in liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before 8 hours has passed slice onion in narrow strips and sauté in olive oil until slightly caramelized (about 10 minutes).
- Allow beef to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice beef very thin and place on ciabatta bread.
- Spoon a little of the cooking liquid over beef if desired.
- Top with caramelized onions, banana or pepperoncini peppers, and any other toppings you choose.
- Serve immediately.