My kids tease me that most of my recipes start with “Soften 12 pounds of butter and 8 pounds of cream cheese.” It’s true that I don’t do a lot of super low-calorie cooking. In my defense I’m still trying to put weight on Mr. Comfortable so gravy as a beverage is still on the menu! But my Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini has just enough creamy sauce to make it delicious without being too heavy!
I’m still having a bit of trouble concentrating due to the bump on my head and I haven’t been doing a lot of cooking. Yet I longed to make something comforting for dinner. It couldn’t be too complicated but I didn’t want it to be plain tasting.
I remembered a dish I saw on Pinterest a while back. Although I didn’t pin it and couldn’t find it again it did inspire Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini. The dish I saw didn’t have pasta but adding pasta is a great way to make a dish more filling and keeping it inexpensive.
The thing I like about my Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini is that it doesn’t take long to make. It’s great for evenings when I get into the kitchen late or just don’t feel like spending a lot of time cooking.
First I put of pot of well salted water on to boil. While that was heating I diced 1/3 cup of onions small. Then I minced 2 large cloves of garlic really fine.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into strips. Next I cut up 1 jar (12 ounce) of roasted red peppers. Drain the peppers if you use a jar. If you roast your own pepper 1 large one will do.
By this time the water was boiling so I poured in about 1/2 pound of rotini into the water. The rest of the cooking takes about as long to finish as the pasta.
In a large skillet I melted 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and browned the chicken strips over medium heat. When they were nicely browned I removed them from the skillet and set them aside.
Then I added the onions to the same skillet and cooked them until they were softened. This took about 4 minutes. The onions get a little brown from the browned butter and the chicken left in the pan. I wanted that since it builds layers of flavor!
After the onions were softened I reduced the heat to medium low and added the minced garlic and stirred it around for about 2 minutes.
I poured in the roasted red peppers and sautéed them for about 2 minutes.
Here’s the creamy part of Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini!
Next I poured in 1 1/4 cups chicken broth and one half a block of cream cheese (4 ounces). I broke up the cream cheese with a wooden spoon. While experimenting with the dish I cut the cream cheese into cubes but this time I forgot and just dropped the cream cheese in whole.
I stirred the broth and cream cheese until the cheese was entirely melted and the sauce was smooth. This took about 4 minutes. I seasoned the sauce with salt and pepper.
The chicken was added back to the skillet and I stirred it around to coat it with the sauce. Then I drained the pasta and put it in the same skillet. I gently stirred the pasta around to get the sauce all over it.
Finally I sprinkled a teaspoon of Italian seasoning over everything and stirred it to combine. I tasted the dish and used a tiny bit more salt and pepper.
Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini was a definite hit with Mr. Comfortable! And I was really pleased with the final version. There’s a hint of sweetness from the roasted red peppers and the chicken and pasta held the sauce perfectly. I know Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini is going to be a favorite for our family dinners, too!
Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini
Creamy Chicken Roasted Red Pepper Rotini has layers of flavor and a light sauce making it a delicious and filling meal!
- 1/2 pound uncooked rotini pasta
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into approximately 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced small
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced finely
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Boil large pot of well salted water over high heat.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente (follow package instructions).
- While pasta is cooking melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and sear for 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- Drain pasta and set aside, keeping warm.
- Set seared chicken aside.
- In the same skillet in which you cooked the chicken add the onions and sauté until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the roasted red peppers and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cream cheese and simmer while stirring until cream cheese has melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir sauce until smooth.
- Return chicken and pasta to skillet and cook over medium low until they are hot.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over chicken & pasta and stir gently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.