I was so happy with the flavors of Aunt Millie’s Hungarian Goulash that I decided to try some of the flavors to make green beans special. Mr. C and I both gobbled up Paprika Green Beans and I’ll be making these green beans again!
Paprika Green Beans are easy to make and you can adjust them to serve with chicken or beef!
When I made these flavorful green beans I used beef broth because I was serving them with beef. But when I serve them with chicken I’ll use chicken broth instead.
It was so easy to put this side dish together! I simply washed, trimmed, and cut some fresh green beans into about 1 inch pieces.
Next I melted a tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan and added the beans. I seasoned them with salt and pepper and let them sauté for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
Then I poured in 1/2 cup of beef broth. I only made about 1/4 pound of beans so 1/2 cup of broth was just right. I wanted the beans bathing in the broth but not submerged.
I let the beans boil in the broth for about 5 minutes then sprinkled paprika over them.
Stirring the paprika to coat all the green beans, I continued to boil everything for another few minutes. I wanted the broth to cook almost completely away.
The beans needed another couple of minutes to get tender so I added a tiny bit of water to the pan. I didn’t want the paprika to burn and taste bitter. When the beans were tender I removed them from the heat and stirred in 1 teaspoon sour cream. I let them sit in a bowl for a couple of minutes to bathe in that wonderful paprika sauce!
Before serving I topped the Paprika Green Beans with a little more sour cream because…sour cream!
Depending on what I’m serving with the Paprika Green Beans I can add sautéed onions, garlic, or mushrooms. Or all three! This is a versatile side dish and it doesn’t take much work. That’s always a bonus for me when I’m having a rough day.
Try my Paprika Green Beans. I think you’ll agree they’re so much better than the same old green beans!
Paprika Green Beans
Paprika Green Beans are a flavorful new way to serve this humble vegetable. And you can make it with beef or chicken broth to suit the entree!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups broth (chicken or beef depending on entrée)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sour cream + more for topping if desired.
- Melt butter in sauté pan.
- Add green beans and sauté for several minutes.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
- All beans to boil for about 5 minutes then add paprika, stirring to coat beans.
- Continue to boil beans until broth is almost completely cooked away.
- Lower heat and continue to cook beans until tender. Add a tiny bit of water to keep paprika from burning if necessary.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Let beans stand in sauce for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Top with additional sour cream if desired.
Add sauteed diced onions, garlic, and mushrooms if desired for even more flavor!