Slow cookers are wondrous things! Whether you work outside the home, have kids to run around, or chores that keep you hopping from morning until bedtime at home, a slow cooker can ensure you have a delicious meal ready for your family. I made Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes which gave me time to accomplish other things around the place!
If you’ve read many of my recipes you know that I’m all about easy. Except for browning the pork chops and cutting up potatoes Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes is a meal that’s quick to get ready for the slow cooker. I could probably skip browning the chops but I feel it adds a little something-something.
The pork chops come out so tender you may have to take them out with a ladle! And the potatoes can be mashed with a fork! This is comfort food at its best and Mr. C counts this meal as one of his favorites! To be honest, so do I!
Start Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes by browning the pork chops.
In a shallow baking dish I combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Keep the remaining flour mixture. You’ll use that to make your gravy.
Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. When the oil is nice and hot brown the pork chops for 3 – 4 minutes per side so they’re golden brown.
While the pork chops are browning wash, peel, and cut 3 or 4 potatoes into bite size pieces. Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and lay the potatoes in the bottom.
Place the pork chops on top of the potatoes.
Mix the reserved flour mixture with 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and pour over the chops and potatoes. If there are small lumps don’t worry. They’ll dissolve as everything cooks.
Set the slow cooker on low and the timer for 4 hours. Your Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes are doing their thing.
I guarantee you’ll love Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes! The pork chops are melt-in-your-mouth tender! The gravy is amazing and the potatoes come out so tender you can mash them with a fork!
I serve my Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes with a tossed salad and a green vegetable. We usually sit and chat a long time while we eat this dinner. This is a meal we like to take our time savoring!
Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes
If you want melt-in-your-mouth pork chops and potatoes so tender they mash with a fork all in a creamy gravy you want Slow Cooker Country Pork Chops & Potatoes!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 large pork chops (I prefer bone-in but boneless works, too)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil (for browning pork chops)
- 3 – 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder, and thyme in a shallow baking dish large enough for the biggest pork chop.
- Dredge pork chops, one at a time, in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Reserve the remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown pork chops on both sides until golden and set aside.
- While pork is browning peel and cut 3 – 4 potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and place potatoes in the bottom.
- Place pork chops on top of potatoes.
- Mix broth with reserved flour mixture (don’t worry if there are small lumps; they’ll break up as it cooks) and pour over chops and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.