Peas are a pretty versatile vegetable. You can simply get them hot and serve them with a little butter or you can make them into something fancier. An easy-to-make dish that makes peas really special is Herbed Peas with Shallots.
Herbed Peas with Shallots makes ordinary peas extraordinary!
Just six ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and you can make plain Jane peas into a side dish you’ll be happy to serve. And the combination of flavors will make your family want to eat their peas!
You’ll love how fast this dish is ready for the table! I spend more time measuring than I do cooking Herbed Peas with Shallots!
First slice a large shallot very thinly and set the slices aside. I prefer the milder taste of shallots over onions in this dish. The herbs don’t have to compete with strong-tasting onions!
Melt a couple of tablespoons unsalted butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots. Let them cook for a minute or two (until they just begin to soften) then add fresh peas. If you’re using frozen peas toss them in when you start the shallots.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots are soft and the peas are hot (about 4 – 5 minutes).
Remove from heat and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
Now get personal with your Herbed Peas with Shallots.
Choose the herbs your family likes to make Herbed Peas with Shallots your way. Tonight I’m using oregano and basil. Oregano has a stronger flavor so I use less of it than of the basil.
Sprinkle the herbs over the peas and shallots and stir gently to combine.
Taste and season again with salt and pepper if desired.
Whenever I want to make dull old peas into something out of the ordinary I make Herbed Peas with Shallots.
Herbed Peas with Shallots
Herbed Peas with Shallots turns Plain Jane peas into extraordinary peas! And you can use whatever herb combinations your family loves so it's peas at their personal best!
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 large shallot, sliced very thinly
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano *see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil *see notes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add peas and shallots and cook, stirring constantly, until shallots are soft and the peas are hot (about 4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle your choice of herbs over the peas and toss gently to combine.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
When using a strong flavored herb like oregano use 1/4 teaspoon. Lighter herbs can be increased to 1/2 - 1 teaspoon.