Although we’re not Italian we know that Italian food is real comfort food. There’s something about pasta, tomatoes, and garlic that warms the soul. And who doesn’t love mozzarella cheese? Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta hits all the Italian food notes and, even better, it makes clean up after dinner a breeze!
Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta has a light, flavorful sauce that won’t weigh you down.
Mr. C still has work to do on Ballymurrin Quacker Farmstead so I don’t want him to eat then nap. The chicken broth based liquid used in this dish gives it plenty of flavor but won’t leave you with that “too stuffed to jump” feeling.
A little chopping and slicing and you’re ready to start cooking Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta.
First cut up boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
See the chicken pieces there?
Next slice two medium onions into medium thick (about 1/4 inch) rounds.
Finally, slice a small to medium zucchini into medium thick rounds.
You’re ready to assemble your Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In an oven-safe skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken is lightly browned and about 155 degrees F (check several pieces).
Remove the chicken from the skillet and pour two more tablespoons of olive oil in the pan. Layer the onion slices on the bottom of the skillet. Be careful! The skillet should be quite hot! Season them lightly with salt and pepper and cook them over low heat to soften them slightly.
Pour 2 cups of uncooked mezze penne or small rotini over onions.
Add 2 cups of chicken broth and one 14.5 ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes you’ve hand crushed. Pour in the juice from the can of tomatoes, too. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder over tomato layer.
On top of the pasta layer the zucchini slices. Season the zucchini lightly with salt and pepper.
Return the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle Italian seasoning and garlic powder over everything.
Bring the contents to a boil then transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake it for about 12 – 15 minutes (until the zucchini and pasta are tender).
Evenly spread shredded mozzarella cheese over chicken and place under broiler until cheese is melted and golden brown. I use 3 cups of mozzarella. Of course you can use less but why would you? If your skillet can’t take the heat of the broiler just bake it until cheese is melted. I use my cast iron skillet for this dish so I can get that melty, browned cheese!
Serve Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta right from the skillet!
Holy cats! Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta is so good!
Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta
Skillet Italian Chicken & Pasta is Italian comfort food that won't weigh you down. Tender, juicy chicken and lots of yummy cheese will make this a family favorite!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 small zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 11/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, including juice1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (uncooked) *mezze penne or small rotini noodles
- 2 - 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- In an oven safe skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring to turn until lightly browned (internal temperature of chicken should be about 155 degrees).
- Remove chicken and layer onion slices on bottom of skillet seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour uncooked pasta over onions.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth over pasta.
- Hand crush tomatoes and pour over pasta (including the juice from the can).
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Layer zucchini on top of tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Top zucchini with chicken pieces and sprinkle remaining Italian seasoning and garlic powder over all.
- Bring to a boil then bake for 12 – 15 minutes (until zucchini and pasta are tender).
- Top chicken and pasta with shredded mozzarella cheese and broil until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve hot.
*Mezze penne is a smaller size of penne pasta