When we had dinner at Kevin’s on Sunday the conversation turned to spicy food. I love spicy dishes but Mr. C can’t handle the heat the way he could before. But that talk made me crave something I haven’t made in a while; Creamy Chicken Quesadillas.
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas – spicy, not over the top hot!
By cutting back on the chili powder and using just a pinch of chipotle chili pepper these quesadillas are spicy but not flames- shooting-from-your-mouth hot. And the cream cheese is cool on the tongue in the midst of the spiciness. So Mr. Comfortable and I are both happy with Creamy Chicken Quesadillas!
First I cook 3 large chicken breasts. I used to use 4 but it seems the chicken breasts are getting bigger nowadays! When they’re just cooked through I shred them. If you prefer you can just cut them into small pieces but we like it shredded.
Next I stir the shredded chicken, chili powder, garlic powder, a pinch of chipotle chili pepper (my “secret ingredient”), in a large bowl.
I add a can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies (drained), and shredded fiesta blend cheese and stir it so it’s well combined.
To make the Creamy Chicken Quesadillas creamy I add 5 ounces (just a bit over 1/2 block) of softened cream cheese.
Using a fork I mash and stir the chicken mixture and cream cheese until it’s all very well combined.
When I assemble the quesadillas I like to work on my large cutting board. That way I can lay out a couple of tortillas at the same time.
I spread one half of each burrito size tortilla with about 1/2 cup each of the chicken/cream cheese mixture. Then I fold the tortillas in half. With the amount of chicken mixture I get 8 quesadillas.
Enough Creamy Chicken Quesadillas to feed a family or as appetizers for a party!
Next I melt a couple of teaspoons of butter in a large skillet and place the quesadillas in. I can fit a couple at a time. I fry them on one side until they’re golden brown (about 2 minutes) then flip them and fry the other side.
When the quesadillas are perfect I put them on a plate and keep them warm while I finish frying the rest of the quesadillas.
To serve I cut the Creamy Chicken Quesadillas in half (or wedges) and top them with sour cream. You can also top them with salsa or guacamole – whatever your ‘lil heart desires!
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas make great appetizers cut in small wedges and they’re terrific for dinner with some Mexican rice.
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas are slices of south of the border heaven! They’re cool and hot on your tongue at the same time! The cream cheese along with the tomatoes and chilies and chipotle pepper are the perfect blend!
I even freeze the leftovers so we have a quick, late-night snack! They can be thawed in the microwave then reheated in the oven or a skillet!
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas are south-of-the-border heaven! Cool and hot on your tongue these quesadillas are perfect appetizers or a great Mexican entrée!
- 4 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes & chiles, drained (I use Rotel)
- 5 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup finely shredded Fiesta Blend cheese
- 8 Burrito size flour tortillas
- Butter for frying
- Sour cream & guacamole for topping (optional)
- Combine the shredded or cubed cooked chicken, chili powder, garlic powders in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes with green chiles, and shredded cheese. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add the cream cheese and use a fork to blend it into the chicken mixture. Mix until there are no lumps of cream cheese in the mixture.
- Lay tortillas on work surface and spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken cream cheese mixture on half of each tortilla.
- Fold tortillas over and gently press down.
- Over medium high heat melt about 2 teaspoons of butter in a large skillet.
- Add tortillas (you’ll have to work in batches) and fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Flip and brown the other side. Keep the finished quesadillas warm while you fry the remaining ones.
- Continue to brown tortillas, adding butter as needed, until all are golden brown on both sides.
- Cut quesadillas in half or in wedges and top with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole if desired.
Freeze leftover Creamy Chicken Quesadillas for snacks or a quick dinner. Simply thaw in the microwave and reheat in a skillet or in the oven!