My family loves these Ginger Lemon Mini Muffins and the mini size is perfect for my husband. The lemon adds brightness and the heat of the ginger comes through at the end. With a cup of Earl Grey tea, they’re the perfect Sunday morning treat. They can, of course, be made into full size muffins, just increase the baking time to about 12 -15 minutes.
First I gathered my ingredients
After mincing the ginger I added the sugar and heated the mixture. It smelled so good!
By the final step in mixing I was ready to just grab a spoon!
These little darlings are ready to bake.
I got 4 dozen mini muffins and I expect about 16 full size muffins would be about right for this recipe.
Ginger Lemon Mini Muffins
Yield: 4 dozen mini muffins
- 1 large piece (about 3.5 ounce) unpeeled fresh ginger (you’ll need 3/4 cup very finely minced ginger)
- 3/4 cup plus 3 Tbs. sugar, divided
- 3 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature + enough very soft to butter muffin cups
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Butter the muffin cups.
- Cut the unpeeled ginger into chunks and, in a food processor with a metal blade, process until it is very finely minced.
- In a small saucepan, combine the ginger and1/4 cup of the sugar.
- Cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture is hot; watch this carefully as it only takes a minute or two.
- Set aside to cool until tepid.
- In a small bowl stir the lemon zest and the 3 Tbs. sugar and let stand for several minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add sugar/zest mix to the ginger mixture. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, salt and baking soda to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until blended.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until blended.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until blended.
- Stir in the ginger-lemon mixture.
- Spoon batter into the buttered muffin cups. Fill each cup until nearly full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 9 – 11 minutes.
- Cool muffins for 1 minute in the muffin cups then remove to finish cooling.