I’m starting to get into the idea of having meatless meals at least once a week. I always thought of dinner sans meat as being boring. But Linguine in Browned Butter with Mushrooms & Asparagus is definitely not boring!
Meatless meals never appealed to me when I was younger. I’ve mentioned before I’m a total carnivore. Even when I raised meat from birth (or hatching) I never had trouble butchering it and eating it. Yet meatless meals can be absolutely delicious and they certainly are a money saver! I’ve even come to appreciate macaroni and cheese!
Linguine in Browned Butter with Mushrooms & Asparagus combines some of my favorite foods; pasta, mushrooms, and asparagus!
And it’s so versatile because I can use onions and broccoli or even carrots and celery instead of the mushrooms and asparagus. I can keep it inexpensive by using vegetables that are in season (or stored in the root cellar).
The whole thing can be put together in the time it takes to make the linguine! I love that we can have a dinner that doesn’t take long to make and still have it delicious!
Set the table! This won’t take long to make!
First I put a big pot of well salted water on to boil. While the water is coming to the boil I mince 3 cloves of garlic and set that aside.
I wash the mushrooms (I don’t worry about washing them since I’m going to cook them right away). Then I slice them with my handy mushroom slicer. I love this tool! It slices things so uniformly and quickly I don’t know how I got along without it! And I use it for hard-boiled eggs, hard cheeses, and other food I want to slice perfectly!
As soon as the mushrooms are sliced I wash and peel some asparagus. When this springtime vegetables shows up in the stores I know summer won’t be far behind! I snap off the woody part of the asparagus and it’s ready for steaming so I get a pot of water boiling for that.
Everything but the linguine!
Now we’re cooking!
By the time all this is done the water has boiled and I add the pasta. Next I cut up a stick of butter evenly (I just use the tablespoon marks) and set a heavy bottomed pot on the stove. The butter gets melted over medium heat and I add the mushrooms and let it continue to cook until both are a nice brown color and the butter smells nutty.
Cooking the mushrooms takes about 5 minutes. I add the minced garlic in at about 3 minutes to let it soften.
While the butter melts I put the asparagus on to steam. Since I don’t have a steamer I just use my strainer over a pot of boiling water with a lid over it. I have this steamer on my wish list!
When the pasta is al dente I put it in the pot with the browned butter, mushrooms, and garlic and toss it to coat the linguine.
Then I add the asparagus and toss it gently so it gets that amazing brown butter treatment too! I season it all with salt and pepper and some red pepper flakes. I put the pasta in a big bowl and top it with a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese and dinner is done!
Is there anything better than a big plate of pasta?
I serve Linguine in Browned Butter with Mushrooms & Asparagus with a tossed salad because it really doesn’t need anything else! It’s a really delicious way to have an inexpensive, delicious meatless meal and we gobble it up!
Linguine in Browned Butter with Mushrooms & Asparagus
Linguine in Browned Butter with Mushrooms & Asparagus is a meatless meal that makes you feel like you're dining in a fine restaurant!
- 1/2 pound linguine, uncooked
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 - 12 spears asparagus, washed, peeled, and woody parts removed
- 1 stick butter, unsalted and cut into tablespoons
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of well salted water on to boil.
- When water boils add linguine.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot melt butter over medium heat.
- When butter has melted and is beginning to brown add the mushrooms.
- After the mushrooms have cooked for about 3 minutes add the minced garlic and continue cooking until butter is brown in color and smells nutty and mushrooms are cooked.
- While mushrooms and garlic are cooking steam asparagus for 8 - 10 minutes (until bright green and tender).
- Drain pasta and add to pot with the browned butter.
- Toss to coat pasta.
- Add asparagus to pasta and gently toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes if using.
- Top individual portions with shredded Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
If you are serving more than a few people increase the amount of pasta, mushrooms, and asparagus but the butter is sufficient for up to 1 lb. of pasta.