Ever since I was a little girl I’ve loved broccoli. Yep. I was that strange vegetable loving child you’ve heard about. Now that I’m grown I still love broccoli but I like to serve it differently. Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms is a great way to get the broccoli I love with even more flavor!
Side dishes can be boring but Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms makes ordinary broccoli interesting.
Making new main courses is never hard for me yet I sometimes struggle with finding interesting ways to make sides. While it’s easy to serve the same vegetables in the same way I like to keep things fresh. I think it’s easier to get people to eat vegetables if it’s not always exactly the same.
The mushrooms and garlic add their own special flavor and lemon juice brightens the flavors. It’s a great way to make a change from plain old steamed broccoli!
Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms takes under 20 minutes to make!
I like making this because I don’t have to take up space in the oven to get roasted flavor. Everything is done right on the stove top! And it’s fast so I’m not standing at the stove for a long time.
This time I have sliced mushrooms so I’ve saved a step. If I have whole mushrooms I just use my mushroom slicer and make quick work of it. If you have trouble with your hands sometimes or just want to save time and get consistent slices a mushroom/egg slicer is a great little tool!
I heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. I’ve got my eye on this skillet. After all Mother’s Day is coming up! Then I put the broccoli and the mushrooms in the skillet.
I cover the skillet and cook the vegetables for 7 – 8 minutes; until everything is deeply browned.
Next I pour in 1/4 cup of water and recover the skillet. I let the broccoli steam in there for about 6 – 7 minutes. When the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender it’s time to add the garlic.
Reducing the heat to medium low I add the garlic and cook it until it’s lightly browned. During this stage I watch the garlic carefully. Burned garlic is bitter!
I remove the vegetables to a bowl, season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice over them.
Check out that color!
Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms is a favorite with my family and I’ll bet your family will love it too!
Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms
Caramelized Broccoli with Mushrooms is a delicious way to serve your family vegetables and it's easy to make!
- 10 ounces broccoli
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced very thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the broccoli and the mushrooms in the oil.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 7 - 8 minutes (until vegetables are deeply browned).
- Pour in the water and recover the skillet.
- Cook until the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender (about 6 – 7 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the remaining olive oil and the garlic.
- Cook until garlic is lightly browned (about 2 minutes). Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Season broccoli and mushrooms with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Drizzle lemon juice over all.
- Serve hot.