If you want a delicious sauce that works equally well on chicken, beef or fish you need to try my Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce! It’s a rich, silky sauce that turns an ordinary entrée into something special!
Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce will make your dinner remarkable!
And it’s easy to make! If you’ve ever made homemade gravy you will have no trouble making this sauce. But your family and guests will think you really pulled out all the stops.
Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour into the butter and whisk until smooth (1 – 2 minutes).
Continue whisking while slowly pouring in 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper.
Whisk until the sauce is smooth then add 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 crushed chicken bouillon cube, and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and continue to whisk until combined.
Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and continue to cook, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese. I used cut up pieces of sliced Swiss cheese. They melted perfectly!
Stir the sauce until the cheese has melted. To keep the sauce hot and prevent condensation from the lid from dripping into the sauce place a paper towel over the saucepan being careful not to let it touch the sauce. Place the lid on the saucepan and set aside until ready to spoon Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce on the entrée.
Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce is just that easy!
I spoon Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce over my Simple Woman’s Chicken Cordon Bleu and it’s also delicious on grilled chicken, beef and fish!
Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce
Dijon Swiss Cheese Cream Sauce is a silky, delicious sauce that turns an ordinary meal into a special occasion! And it's as easy to make as gravy!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 chicken bouillon granule cube, crushed
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (to suit your taste)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese cut into small pieces
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk, heavy cream, and white pepper, whisking constantly until mixture is well combined.
- Add Dijon mustard, crushed bouillon cube, and Worcestershire sauce and whisk to combine.
- Continue to cook until sauce is thickened (it should coat the back of a spoon).
- Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve over chicken, beef or fish.
To keep condensation from dripping into sauce if you need to keep it warm until your meat is done cover the saucepan with a paper towel then the lid of the pan.