After Jami and John’s wedding I had a really tough time getting out of bed. Even my nails and teeth felt swollen. For a couple of days we survived on what I call fast food; Hamburger Helper and frozen pizza. But we needed a real meal before long so I made something simple but really tasty – Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas.
Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas looks like you worked hard but you won’t!
Imagine putting this meal that looks fancy on the table knowing it was easy as pie to make! That’s Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas. It takes only a tiny bit of prep work but looks like you slaved over it.
First dice a half a medium yellow onion.
Then mince a couple of cloves of garlic.
Pour 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth in a large saucepan that has a lid. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice depending on how much lemon you like. Toss in a teaspoon of lemon zest and bring it all to a boil over high heat.
Then just add 1 cup of orzo, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 6 minutes.
While the orzo is cooking heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until they’re softened. It only takes about 4 minutes!
Next add the minced garlic to the skillet with the onions. Stir it around until it’s fragrant. A minute is all that requires.
Add shrimp to the same skillet, squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, and sprinkle parsley and basil over the shrimp and give it a stir. Cook just until the shrimp is pink.
By this time your orzo is just about done. Add a cup of peas to the orzo, recover it, and let it cook another couple of minutes. You want the orzo tender and the peas hot.
Spoon the orzo onto a plate and top with the shrimp mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve your easy to make Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas with pride!
Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas
Herbed Shrimp with Lemon Orzo and Peas is easy to make but tastes like you slaved over it!
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. shrimp (approximately 20 medium shrimp)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour chicken broth, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepan with a lid.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add 1 cup orzo and return to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add diced onions and cook until softened; about 4 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add shrimp, fresh lemon juice, parsley, and basil and cook until shrimp is just pink.
- Add 1 cup of peas to orzo, recover, and cook for another few minutes; until orzo is tender and peas are hot.
- Spoon orzo and peas on plates, season with salt and pepper to taste, and top with shrimp.