I was feeling a little adventurous last night while thinking about what to make for dinner. When I mentioned my idea to Mr. Comfortable he was a bit uncertain. He loves the ingredients but he was unsure about combining them. But I’m happy to report he loved the Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls!
Initially I thought about simply cutting a pocket in the breasts for the filling. But with the amount of cheese and asparagus I wanted to use I thought it best to pound the breasts and fold them over the filling. I’ll continue to do it that way as the breasts cooked evenly and I was able to use 4 spears of asparagus in each breast!
I placed the breasts between layers of plastic wrap and pounded them so they were about evenly thick.
Then I spread 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese down the center of each breast.
Next I topped the cheese with 4 spears of asparagus for each breast. I put them down all facing one direction but then flipped two around so two tips stuck out one end and the other two stuck out on the opposite end. It made it easier to fold the chicken around the filling.
I used toothpicks to help hold the chicken around the filling. There’s a lot of cheese and asparagus in those breasts! The Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls were nearly ready to brown and I was feeling pretty good about my idea.
Since I assumed the Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls wouldn’t fully cook in the skillet I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.
Mr. Comfortable loves breaded anything so I made seasoned breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. I used 1/2 cup of plain breadcrumbs with the seasoning to coat the chicken.
I gave two eggs a good whisk and then dipped the rolled chicken in them. Next I rolled the chicken in the seasoned breadcrumbs and set them aside.
In my oven safe skillet I heated 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Then I added the chicken rolls and browned them until they were golden brown and crispy. To get them nice and brown only took about 3 minutes per side. I popped the skillet into the oven to finish cooking the chicken to 165 degrees. It only took about 12 minutes!
Mr. C still has trouble swallowing and sauces make it much easier for him to eat. While the chicken was finishing in the oven I made my Lemon Cream Sauce and spaghetti for the side.
We were both so pleased with this dish! The asparagus wasn’t mushy; one of the fears we had about stuffing it in the chicken. There was just enough cheese and the chicken was juicy and tender. And the crispy breading was great!
Mr. Comfortable had sauce on both the pasta and the chicken while I opted for sauce only on the pasta. I did dip a couple of bites of the chicken in the sauce and it complimented the flavors perfectly!
All in all Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls were a total hit and I’ll be adding them to our family dinner line up!
Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls
Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Rolls are tender and juicy with a crispy coating. Stuffed with cheese and asparagus they're nearly a complete meal in themselves!
- 4 chicken breasts (skinless, boneless) pounded evenly
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 spears asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil (for browning chicken)
- Lemon cream sauce (optional – see recipe here
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pound chicken breasts to even thickness
- Top each breast with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Lay 4 spears asparagus on top of cheese (2 spears facing one way, 2 the other way)
- Fold chicken over cheese and asparagus
- Fasten chicken with toothpicks to hold rolled shape
- Heat 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil in oven safe skillet over medium heat
- Add chicken rolls to skillet and cook until golden brown on all sides (about 12 minutes)
- Put skillet in oven to finish cooking chicken to 165 degrees.
- Top with lemon cream sauce if using or simply squirt a little lemon juice on chicken